Moving from a commercial product to Nagios

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Sat Feb 5 00:54:09 CET 2005

Mohr James wrote:
> Hi All!
>
> As I mentioned several months ago, we are in the process of moving from
> a commercial product to Nagios.  I would like to get some feedback from
> someone who has gone through this process, discussing primarily the
> administrative aspects. For example, how many people were on the project
> team, how much time was spent per time, how long the process lasted
> (i.e. in months), any pitfalls and problems, etc.

For a company solution, I would seriously recommend enlisting the aid of
a consultant. It should help immensely in initial setting up and you'll
get a quicker return of investment and get to an acceptable level on the
rather steep learning-curve quickly. That usually makes everybody happy.

I believe you can find one at www.findopensourcesupport.com (or
something similar, there's a link at www.nagios.org anyway)

(marketing, look away if you're easily offended by such things)
If you're interested in a complete solution based on Nagios and other
opensource packages, you should send an email to janj at op5.se and ask for
details and a demo of our implementation and all the fancy add-ons.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se
Lead Developer