Monitor actual RAM usage on Windows machines

Anthony Montibello amontibello at gmail.com
Fri Feb 4 13:35:45 CET 2005

Hi,

I have been working on NC_Net as a replacement of NS_Client so I am
becoming very familiar with this problem.  So this iss an alternative
to using NS_Client.

As for your main problem theire are two ways of achiving this value 1)
through performance counters, 2) through WMI
NC_Net handles performance counters as should NS_client.  NC_Net also
can display the values in WMI, NS_Client does not.  NC_Net will be
able to check critical and warning against specific WMI objects in the
near future.

For Physical Memory (RAM stuff) you need to actually go through the
windows perfomance counters and read throught the descriptions of each
one to find the one that fits your needs.

1) Availible Physical Ram in Taskmanager matches Category:Memory
Counters: a) Availible MBytes b) Availible KBytes c) Availible Bytes

other counters may be availible but I do not think they explicity
match Ram usage only.  Also It is important to remember that in
windows virtual memory is used with a paging system not direct access
to RAM.

Here is a more detailed article from Mifrosofts web site about RAm
Perfomance counters. KB article 555223:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;555223

Hope you find what you want,
Tony