Checking the availibility of the NRPE Service

Jeff B jeffb.list at gmail.com
Thu Feb 3 19:41:53 CET 2005

I have had a situations where the box that I'm monitoring with NRPE
has had it's load average go high enough to cause the NRPE checks to
time out.  This causes Nagios to send out critical alerts for every
service that is being monitored with NRPE.  I want to monitor the
availability of the NRPE service and depend all of the NRPE checks to
the
one that checks NRPE's availability.

I'm not sure the best way to do this and was wondering if someone on
the list has already worked through this situation.  I'm thinking that
check_tcp is what I want to use, but I'm unsure if I need any extra -s
-e flags, or if the default connect test will behave the way I want
when it encounters high load.

Thanks.