R: Help on alert ping

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Wed Feb 2 10:52:24 CET 2005

Marco Borsani wrote:
> I am testing check_icmp, but for many hosts (where normally I use
> check_ping) a receive a notification like following:
>
> "CRITICAL - 10.0.0.1: Time to live exceeded in transit @ 10.0.0.255. rta
> nan, lost 100%"
>
> Any idea?

You can try using the -l flag to set ttl to a higher value on outgoing
packets. The ttl decides the max number of hops/seconds a packet is
allowed to live. The value reached first results in a ttl exceeded. "in
transit" means the target host is more than outgoing_ttl hops away. "in
packet reassembly" means fragments of the packet didn't arrive a maximum
of remaining_ttl seconds after the IP-header on some router along the
way. I've never seen the "in packet reassembly" happen on a modern
network (not without making it, anyway).

Also, check_icmp doesn't auto-increment it's ttl as normal ping may or
may not do (system dependent). This is intentional, since it means it
can be used to monitor the number of hops to a host and thus see if the
normal or failover route is being used.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se
Lead Developer