check_cluster2 problem found - looking for a solution

Greg Vickers g.vickers at qut.edu.au
Wed Feb 2 03:19:27 CET 2005

Hi all,

I'm pretty sure that I know what the problem is with passing a massive
list of service IDs to check_cluster2.

This is my theory: When Nagios forks off a process to run check_cluster2
the list of service state ID numbers (converted by Nagios from on-demand
macros) is passed on the command line. The numbers are many characters
long and the environment that check_cluster2 runs in doesn't have enough
space on the command line for all the numbers. Any characters that make
up the 23rd ID number are truncated, hence 1 service always critical,
that service ID isn't found.

Does this sound like what is happening? Is there another clever way to
pass the list of service state ID numbers to the forked process so that
there is no truncation and you can pass as many service state ID numbers
as you want?

If you can help or have suggestions please email me or the list :)

Thanks,
--
Greg Vickers
Lab Monitor Project Manager