Question about Linux Distros

Tedman Eng teng at dataway.com
Fri Dec 30 03:15:33 CET 2005

All 3 Linux distros you mention run Nagios equally well.  The only
difference being the Nagios packages, which are all 3rd party.  If I had to
vote, I'd put RHEL (not Fedora) 1st, Debian 2nd, and Suse 3rd.

My bias towards RedHat is due to their enterprise-friendly Kickstart
Installer (which is not necessarily nagios related)

Debian probably has better repositories, but you're only installing once and
leaving the repositories alone after that.  Besides, you'll probably want to
keep a copy of the packages that got installed, so in case of a disaster you
can recover to the same version, which a repository won't always keep
around.