Sending $HOSTADDRESS$ or other to NRPE

Henrik Morsing henrik at morsing.cc
Thu Dec 29 12:13:11 CET 2005

On Thu, 29 Dec 2005, Thomas.Zimmer at oppenheim.de wrote:

> Has your printer host-def. An IP-address assigned?
> What is the output of the service-check?
> Did you try to write the output of the check_printer command to a file? Is
> there an IP-address?
> You should set the passed args for the nrpe-command into "", like this:
> define command {
>         command_name    check_printer
>         command_line    /usr/lib/nagios/plugin/check_nrpe -H kg -c
> check_printer -a "$HOSTADDRESS$ $ARG1$ $ARG2$"
>         }
> But this should not be the problem in your config, I think...

Thanks for this. Looking at it again this morning I realised that the
correct line in services.cfg should have been:

           check_command                   check_nrpe!check_printer

This has brought me a step forward. Also the hostname in the hosts.cfg
should be as seen by the server running NRPE at the other end. Now the
problem is this message from the log:

[1135854406] Warning: Return code of 127 for check of service 'KG-Printer'
on host 'printer' was out of bounds. Make sure the plugin you're trying to
run actually exists.

It doesn't exist!. check_printer is not a plugin but defined in
checkcommand.cfg. How do I get Nagios to understand this?

Thanks