Nagios not able to run CenterICQ

Curtis Brown curtisb at yuma.acns.ColoState.EDU
Mon Dec 26 03:10:58 CET 2005

Hello everyone!

Where I work we've been using Nagios to send SMS messages when
something's broke. I want to try to extend that by using IM messages.
Our Nagios server is RedHat FC4 running Nagios v2.0b3. So I grabbed
a copy of CenterICQ, compiled it, installed it and configured it.
At this point, I have an MSN id logged on. On a separate tty, I
tried sending a test message on the command line. This works no
problem. Both the Nagios program and CenterICQ are run by the same
user. So I configure Nagios to try the same command line, but it
didn't work, there's no response from CenterICQ.

So what I did what create a script:

   $ more centericq-test.sh
   #!/bin/sh
   echo `date`-`whoami` >> /tmp/result
   /usr/local/bin/centericq -h 2>> /tmp/result
   echo "end" | cat >> /tmp/result

When I run it from the command line, here is what's in /tmp/result:

    Thu Dec 22 10:53:54 MST 2005-nagios
    end

When the Nagios program runs it, this is what's in /tmp/result:

    Thu Dec 22 10:57:52 MST 2005-nagios
    terminate called after throwing an instance of 'std::logic_error'
      what():  basic_string::_S_construct NULL not valid
    end

This happens with CenterICQ v4.20.0 and v4.21.0.
I'm not smart enough to debug it from here. Can anyone help out? Are
people using similar versions of CenterICQ with success? MTIA.

Curtis Brown, ACNS, Colorado State University
curtisb at yuma.acns.colostate.edu