Down when it is up

nemir nemiria nemir at hotmail.com
Sat Dec 24 19:26:38 CET 2005

>Nagios (Ver. 1.2) was just installed to monitor a VPN with 600 ATMs.

>The problem we have is that some of the ATMs are shown as down but when
>pinged the are really up. This happens in the ATMs that for any reason, are
>working with the dial-up lines.

>Reading the documentation it seems to me that the problem is the
>configuration. Is there anything we can check?

There are a few things.  Log into the nagios server as the nagios user and
run the command manually.  That is often a good indicator of exactly what is
happening.

It might also be that the topology you describe doesn't always return
results of the check to the server within the default 10 seconds.  You might
want to increase that to 20 seconds (or even more).

I am sure there is more that others could add.  If this doesn't help it
might pay to post the exact command you're running and the output you see,
as well as the error on the nagios system,  and perhaps othere (relevent)
parts of your nagios configs.

regards,

Nemir