nagios starting problem

Askar Ali askarali at beaconet.net
Mon Dec 19 15:32:57 CET 2005

Marco Ramos wrote:

>What's the homedir of the user nagios? Is this the directory under which
>Nagios is installed?
>
>HTH,
>Marco Ramos
>
>On Mon, 2005-12-19 at 19:12 +0500, Askar Ali wrote:
>

>>I have installed nagios 2.0b6 on OS slackware, when I starts it, it
>>gives error...
>>(actaully migrated from one machine to another which were running 2.0b2)
>>
>>/etc/rc.d/rc.nagios start
>>Starting network monitor: nagios
>>No directory, logging in with HOME=/
>>

>>however its working, secondly *sometime* when I stop nagios by
>>/etc/rc.d/rc.nagios stop it gives error no nagios.lock file find and
>>show me the long listing of Usage.
>>

>>I even replaced the init script of 2.0b6 with 2.0b2 but still the same
>>error.
>>
>>any idea where i'm making some mistake?
>>
>>regards
>>
>>Askar Ali

>>::: Please include Nagios version, plugin version (-v) and OS when reporting any issue.
>>::: Messages without supporting info will risk being sent to /dev/null

however I still *sometime* (not every time) error when stopping nagios.

/etc/rc.d/rc.nagios stop
Stopping network monitor: nagios
Waiting for nagios to exit .head: cannot open
`/usr/local/nagios/var/nagios.lock' for reading: No such file or directory
ERROR: List of process IDs must follow -p.
********* simple selection *********  ********* selection by list *********
-A all processes                      -C by command name
-N negate selection                   -G by real group ID (supports names)
-a all w/ tty except session leaders  -U by real user ID (supports names)
-d all except session leaders         -g by session OR by effective
group name
-e all processes                      -p by process ID
T  all processes on this terminal     -s processes in the sessions given
a  all w/ tty, including other users  -t by tty
g  OBSOLETE -- DO NOT USE             -u by effective user ID (supports
names)
r  only running processes             U  processes for specified users
x  processes w/o controlling ttys     t  by tty
.
.

any idea what i'm missing here?

regards