syslog monitoring

Sebastian Kayser mls at skayser.de
Fri Dec 16 19:06:13 CET 2005

* Julie S. Lin <jlin at myvest.com> wrote:
> Does anyone here know if there's a plug in to nagios that will allow
> monitoring of syslogs  ..

You can use syslog-ng in combination with SEC or swatch or something
alike to monitor your logfiles and commit service check results
(probably warnings or criticals) via the external command file depending
on your log messages. You have to make use of passive checks for that.

Passive checks and the Nagios external command file:

http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/1_0/passivechecks.html
http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/2_0/passivechecks.html

Some info on syslog-ng, SEC and swatch:

http://www.campin.net/newlogcheck.html

> .. and or integrates monitoring done via scripts?  I'd like to
> integrate my monitoring.

What do you mean by scripts? Please elaborate. Checks done by Nagios are
usually scripts themselfes.

If you mean scripts which are asynchronous in their nature (i.e. not
triggered by Nagios, for example backups etc.) you can make use of the
external command file, too. If they are run on the same host you can
write directly to the external command file, if not you can use NSCA.

http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/1_0/addons.html
http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/2_0/addons.html#nsca

- sebastian