escalation groups?

Guy Knights g.knights at qut.edu.au
Fri Dec 16 00:18:44 CET 2005

I'm currently configuring an install of Nagios 1.2 to provide server
monitoring for my workplace. I have the hosts, hostgroups, contacts,
services, etc set up and working fine.

I've tested escalations and they're working fine, but I'm trying to work
out how I can set up our proposed notification schedule. Below is a
brief outline of what we have already:

    * Multiple hosts in 3 different host groups
    * Multiple contacts, in 3 different contact groups
    * About 30 different services, based on two different templates, a
      medium priority template and a high priority template
    * Two different time periods, one for standard working hours, and
      one for weekend on-call hours

Is it possible to set up something like a "group" of escalations, so
certain services follow one escalation pattern, another set of services
follows another escalation pattern, etc? The problem is that because we
have so many services already, and the notifications for these services
are based on templates, it looks to me like we'd have to set up a huge
amount of escalations to accomplish the escalation schedule we're aiming
for.

Basically, we would just like to be able to choose the set of
escalations used, based upon which template the service uses. Is this
possible?

I apologise if this is confusing to follow, I'm happy to elaborate if
people aren't sure what I'm on about!

Regards,
Guy

Guy Knights