Sound notification on nagios server

Marcio Merlone marcio at ambientebrasil.com.br
Thu Dec 15 14:04:02 CET 2005

On Qua, 2005-12-14 at 22:39 +0100, Arno Lehmann wrote:

> >>Nagios user has permissions on whatever /dev/dsp devices?
> More general approach: Try running your notification script as the user
> nagios runs as. Or put it in a wrapper script that uses su or sudo to
> execute the siren-script as, for example, root. That might give you some
> clues... I guess it's a permissions problem you encounter.

When Mr. Mitsuto said something about permissions, I checked all
possibilities, and made this:

root at cedro:/etc/nagios# su - nagios -s /bin/bash
nagios at cedro:~
$ /usr/bin/aplay /usr/share/nagios/htdocs/media/critical.wav
Playing WAVE '/usr/share/nagios/htdocs/media/critical.wav' : Unsigned 8
bit, Rate 11025 Hz, Mono
nagios at cedro:~$

It made a sound! But:

root at cedro:/etc/nagios# su - nagios -c
"/usr/bin/aplay /usr/share/nagios/htdocs/media/critical.wav"
root at cedro:/etc/nagios#

This makes nothing. Anyway, it is clear that the nagios user is able to
access /dev/dsp, since it played the sound on the first attempt.

> Permissions on aplay, the wav file, or anything else? An aplay ...
>  >>/var/log/buzina.log might also show some error messages.

I made that also, but no output to the log from aplay, just the echo
"Playing" >> log...

Should I give up? :) I refuse to!

--
Marcio Merlone <marcio at ambientebrasil.com.br>