Sound notification on nagios server

Marcio Merlone marcio at ambientebrasil.com.br
Wed Dec 14 13:32:42 CET 2005

Hello all.

I searched the web for this but could not find a proper solution. I am
trying to make the nagios server (not the web gui) play a sound when
there is something wrong. In this effort, I set:

misccommands.cfg:

define command{
        command_name    play_siren
        command_line    /sbin/sirene.sh
        }

/sbin/sirene.sh:

#!/bin/bash
data=`date`
echo "$data Making noise" >> /var/log/buzina.log
/usr/bin/aplay -q /usr/share/nagios/htdocs/media/critical.wav

contacts.cfg:

define contact{
        contact_name                    sirene
        alias                           Sound card on sever
        service_notification_period     24x7
        host_notification_period        24x7
        service_notification_options    w,u,c,r
        host_notification_options       d,u,r
        service_notification_commands   play_siren
        host_notification_commands      play_siren
        email                           info at domain.tld
        }

contactgroups.cfg:

define contactgroup{
        contactgroup_name       buzina
        alias                   Placa de som na cedro
        members                 sirene
        }

hosts.cfg:

define host{
        use                     generic-host
        host_name               teste
        alias                   Just for fun
        address                 10.0.0.124
        check_command           check-host-alive
        max_check_attempts      20
        notification_interval   60
        notification_period     24x7
        notification_options    d,u,r
        }

services.cfg:

define service{
        hostgroup_name                  teste
        service_description             PING
        is_volatile                     0
        check_period                    24x7
        max_check_attempts              3
        normal_check_interval           5
        retry_check_interval            1
        contact_groups                  router-admins,buzina
        notification_interval           240
        notification_period             24x7
        notification_options            c,r
        check_command                   check_ping!100.0,20%!500.0,60%
        }

I have a sound card attached to the server, and issuing this command by
hand I can hear the sound. But when the test server is down the command
is not executed. The machine is an ubuntu 5.10 running kernel
2.6.12-10-k7, and nagios-mysql 1.3-cvs.20050402-4ubuntu3.

Please let me know if you need further information. Thanks in advance
for any help or hint.

Best regards,

--
Marcio Merlone <marcio at ambientebrasil.com.br>