getting nagios to snmp to my box, Where do i specify the community

Randy Paries rtparies at gmail.com
Wed Dec 14 01:54:28 CET 2005

Hello,
I am trying to do a smnp check on one of my boxes.
(it is a mediatrix viop gateway)

I can query it using the cactii using the community of public

so i have set it up as follows::

The ping works find but the snmp fails with a CRITICAL
"Connection refused by host"

Si i am thinking maybe it is the community cause like mentioned above
cactii can query it just fine.

Thanks for any suggestions.

define host{
        use                     generic-host            ; Name of host
template to use

        host_name               MediaTrix.RP
        alias                   MediaTrix RP Box
        address                 66.xx.xx.205
        max_check_attempts      20
        notification_interval   60
        notification_period     24x7
        notification_options    d,u,r
        }

define service{
    use                     generic-service
    host_name               MediaTrix.RP
    service_description     SMTP
    is_volatile             0
    check_period            24x7
    max_check_attempts      3
    normal_check_interval   5
    retry_check_interval    1
    contact_groups          admins
    notification_interval   240
    notification_period     24x7
    notification_options    w,u,c,r
    check_command           check_smtp
    }

define service{
    use                     generic-service
    host_name               MediaTrix.RP
    service_description     PING
    is_volatile             0
    check_period            24x7
    max_check_attempts      3
    normal_check_interval   5
    retry_check_interval    1
    contact_groups          admins
    notification_interval   240
    notification_period     24x7
    notification_options    w,u,c,r
    check_command           check_ping!100.0,20%!500.0,60%
    }