nagios and snmptt

Sebastian Kayser mls at skayser.de
Tue Dec 13 20:22:22 CET 2005

* Rusty Hall <rhall at healthvision.com> wrote:
> I have nagios 1.2 up and running (and has been for awhile) on a
>  fedora core2 server. I recently added the snmptt for snmp traps.
>  The snmptt appears to be running correctly accordng to the logs
>  being generated. The trap also apperas in the nagios.log file.
>  The question and or questions i have is I never get an alert an
>  the passive check aalways says pending. enclosed are the service
>  check and an entry from the logs

The pending state is ok, as you have set the check_period to none, which
i suppose contains no timeslots. The service will never be actively
checked.

> passive check
>
> define service{
> use generic-service ; Name of service template to use
> host_name device_name
> service_description TRAP
> is_volatile 1
> check_command check-host-alive
> check_period 24x7
> max_check_attempts 1
> normal_check_interval 1
> retry_check_interval 1
> passive_checks_enabled 1
> check_period none
> notification_interval 31536000 # equals a year
> notification_period 24x7
> notification_options w,u,c,r
> notifications_enabled 1
> contact_groups linux-admins
> }
> snmptt log entry

Notice the mentioned check_period above? You configured two of them, get
rid of one of them (it's confusing).

> Wed Dec 7 21:10:41 2005 .iso.org.dod.internet.snmpV2.snmpModules.snmpMIB.
> snmpMIBObjects.snmpTraps.coldStart Normal "Status Events" system_name
>  - A coldStart trap signifies that the SNMP entity,
>
> Wed Dec 7 15:38:00 2005 .iso.org.dod.internet.private.enterprises.3224.0.
> 500 Normal "Status Events" system_ip - This trap indicates that
>  VPN tunnel status has occured. 41 2005-12-07 15:38:00 system-critical-00
> 041: vpn "St John Tunnel" is down.
>
> entry from nagios.log
>
> [1133792753] EXTERNAL COMMAND: PROCESS_SERVICE_CHECK_RESULT;system_name;T
> RAP;0;Device reinitialized (coldStart)
>
> [1133792757] Warning: Message queue contained results for service
>  'TRAP' on host 'system_name'. The service could not be found!

Nagios receives an external check result and tries to match it to one of
it's configured services. Services are uniquely identified by the
associated host and the service name.

Your configuration is for host "device_name" and service "TRAP", the
external check result is for host "system_name" and service "TRAP". No
match here (and that's what Nagios complains about in it's warning
message).

- sebastian