Debugging nagios checks?

Hugo van der Kooij hvdkooij at vanderkooij.org
Fri Dec 9 21:01:08 CET 2005

On Fri, 9 Dec 2005, Eli Stair wrote:

> Have you already tested the plugin from the commandline, passing it the
> args that are sent from Nagios to make sure your version/community
> string and mountpoint info are properly read and returned?
>
> Have you checked to make sure that SNMP is monitoring disk usage?

My plan of attack on an existing situation would be:

 1. Use snmpwalk to obtain all SNMP data from the host and verify it is
presenting disk info.

 2. Trace from Service definition to Check command to the actual plugin
how the test is done.

 3. Retry the plugin manually with the information obtained from the
previous two steps.

When building one new I would:

 1. Use snmpwalk to get all the details.

 2. Use the plugin manually to get the proper results.

 3. Write a check command

 4. Write a service definition

Actually this morning I added the check_snmp_int.pl script this way to
define a host named internet based on the actual state of the DSL link of
my router.

Just be carefull of typos. I spend almost an hour before I noticed $ARG2$
is not $ARGS2$ and noticed it just about when I did write a full
description for the mailinglist of my problem.

Hugo.