Stalking option + notification

Demetri Mouratis dmourati at cm.math.uiuc.edu
Fri Dec 9 20:21:05 CET 2005

I'm picking up on a thread from a while back regarding stalking options
and notification.

I have a bit of an odd case from a custom plugin where I've "rolled up"
several different bad cases into one global
state.  The request I'm getting now is to send an email notification when
the state first goes bad, and then to send an
additional email if the content of the status message changes, i.e. bad
for a different reason.

In Steve's example below, I want emails at (2), (4), and (5).

Should I fix this at the plugin level, tweak some configuration is some
crafty way, go with volitile services?

Any suggestions welcome and I can provide more detail if necessary.

Thanks.

From: Steve Shipway <s at au...>
RE: Stalking option + notification
2005-11-10 14:52

  >Unless the documentation is very wrong, which I am inclined to
  >doubt is the case, the state stalking isn't contributing to
  >your notifications, only to the logging of those states. Do
  >you have is_volatile set for those services? That's another
  >way to get multiple repeat notifications for non-OK services.

  Surely, is_volatile will cause a notification *every*time* a critical
check
  is received?

  I only want a notification if it is in critical *and* the text is
different
  from the last check, which is what state stalking does.

  Eg, the plugin returns the LAST problem from the final 30 mins of the
syslog
  file.  Successive checks return:

  1) OK - no problems in last 30min
  (message 1 appears at the end of syslog)
  2) CRITICAL - message 1
  (5 mins pass)
  3) CRITICAL - message 1
  (message 2 appears at the end of syslog)
  4) CRITICAL - message 2
  (30 mins pass)
  5) OK - no problems in last 30min

  then I want to receive an alert for (2) and (4).

  Normal checks would alert for (2) only.  Volatile checks would alert for
  (2), (3) and (4).  Stalk stalking for critical would alert for (2) and
(4).

  Steve