eventhandlers running when a dependent service dependency is not satisfied

Eli Stair estair at ilm.com
Fri Dec 9 20:09:11 CET 2005

Thanks for your response Hugo.

In this case I have service checks named:

   SSH   # uses check_ssh plugin
   SNMP  # gets a low-latency MIB to ensure SNMPd is answering
   SNMP-- $DAEMON ## where $DAEMON is one of many processes that need to
be running on the host (each with its own service definition).

In this case SSH does not have any dependencies, it is to be the 'root'
check that all the other services should in the end rely on.

The wildcard matches all the process checks over SNMP, and are
(intended) to be dependent on the SNMP daemon running properly.  The
event handlers for these particular services just SSH to the node and
restart the service.  However to keep this clean I just wanted to make
sure that those aren't occuring _unless_ it was confirmed that SNMP and
SSH are already running (otherwise the node could be down hard, or it
could be responding to a simple death of one of its dependent processes)...

The root issue was an assumption on my part that the
service_dependencies did something they did not (i.e., re-checking
master states when a child failed a check).

Now that I realize I need to add a SCHEDULE_FORCED_SVC_CHECK to the
first run of the event handlers to force a re-check of the state of its
master service, I believe I can pull this off properly.

Cheers,

/eli