using LDAP-based user authentication

Jeff Rattray jrattray at pnhs.purdue.edu
Thu Dec 8 21:25:40 CET 2005

Greetings, everyone.  We (Purdue College of Pharmacy, Nursing and Health
Sciences) have been using nagios for half of a year now, and it has been really
handy.  Currently, we are trying to change the way nagios authenticates users.
Purdue has implemented a new security policy that says that all passwords,
whatever they are for, must be changed every 30 days.  Leaving aside the
difficulties about changing, say, BIOS passwords in the student labs, we are
trying to reduce the number of usernames and passwords that we have to make it
easier to keep up with the password-changing requirement.

I have successfully configured mod_authz_ldap to handle authentication on our
nagios server, and I can log into the nagios pages.  Unfortunately, instead of
returning a simple username like 'jrattray', the CGIs see my username as
'uid=jrattray,ou=people,o=pnhs.purdue.edu' .  I cannot authorize myself to see
any information, because when I put that string into cgi.cfg, nagios breaks it
up at the commas into 3 different users.  (The equals signs may be confusing it
also.)

Here are my questions:

(1) Does anyone know how to escape this username so that it works in cgi.cfg?
I have tried entering it as a quoted string, putting slashes in front of the
commas, etc.

(2) Failing that, has anyone had any experience using nagios with
mod_auth_ldap?  I used mod_authz_ldap (a third-party product) only because it
came with Red Hat EL, but I don't want to bother compiling the official apache
module if it does exactly the same thing.

(3) Failing THAT, how does one submit this to the wish list for nagios?

Thanks,
Jeff Rattray
--
Jeff Rattray, Ph.D.
Manager, Web-based Instructional Technology