Acknowledge Scripts

Scot Jenkins scotjenkins at gmail.com
Thu Dec 8 21:14:59 CET 2005

On 12/8/05, Scott Smith <ssmith at siu.edu> wrote:
> I was wondering if anyone would have a script they wrote, or copied from
> somewhere, to acknowledge multiple Devices/Hosts that are down at one
> time instead of having to goto each individual Host and Ack.
>
> I.e., one building is down without power, and we have 100
> Switches/Routers in this building.  Instead of our NOC Acking 100 times,
> it would be nice if they could Ack the Root (Parent) problem and it
> would Automatically Ack all the Children.

Is that really necessary?  If you use the "parents" option, devices
behind the  main one that is down will show as unreachable.  I think
you could then just acknowledge the main device that shows "down".
This of course assumes everything in that building is behind one
device.  If not, you might have to acknowledge each of the main
devices, but if you do it right, you shouldn't have to acknowledge
_all_ switches/routers, just the few that everything else sits behind.

I mapped out my network tree on paper first.  Then I check the
statusmap.cgi to see that my config matches how I think it should
look.

scot