empty hostgroups forbidden in 2.0b6

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Tue Dec 6 21:50:47 CET 2005

Hugo van der Kooij wrote:
> On Tue, 6 Dec 2005, Phil Mayers wrote:
>
>> moving from 2.0b3
>>
>> "[root at monhost nagios]# /usr/local/nagios/bin/nagios -v
>> /usr/local/nagios/etc/nagios.cfg -h
>>
>> Nagios 2.0b6
>> Copyright (c) 1999-2005 Ethan Galstad (http://www.nagios.org)
>> Last Modified: 11-30-2005
>> License: GPL
>>
>> Reading configuration data...
>>
>> Error: Hostgroup has no members (config file
>> '/usr/local/nagios/etc/dynamic/ic.cfg', starting on line 161)
>>
>> """
>>
>> To which I'd reply - so what?
>
> It was documented as a REQUIRED field from the start of v2.0 so you just
> got away because there was a bug untill now.

The docs say:

"""members: 	This is a list of the short names of hosts that should be
included in this group. Multiple host names should be separated by
commas. This directive may be used as an alternative to (or in addition
to) the hostgroups directive in host definitions."""

...so presumably you could skip "members" and set "hostgroups" on a host
and it would all be ok - and of course the "hostgroups" attribute of a
"host" is not required at all.

A more accurate bit of text would be """all hostgroups must have 1 or
more members, either via the "member" attribute of the group, or the
"hostgroups" attribute of one or more hosts"""

However, I still think it's unhelpful to mandate members, and makes it
considerably more burdensome to build configs automatically *especially*
if you want to use include directories to merge an automatically
generated config and a static "extra specials" config (which may want to
refer to e.g. a building/wiring centre group in the dynamic config)

So, is there a specific architectural reason why a hostgroup must have
members?