Using NRPE to call remote event_handlers

Steve Shipway s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz
Mon Dec 5 21:32:01 CET 2005

>Understanding that the check_nrpe script accepts one line of
>output from the script that is executed on the remote system,
>that one line I receive is part of the normal output of the
>script running on the remote.  Thus telling me that the script
>is running yet the service is not restarting.

This sort of thing definitely works, as we have done it here successfully
(under windows).  However I am now moving to using Win2k's own service
autorestart as it is faster and more reliable.  Maybe you have increased
security levels, and the script is not running with the authority to restart
a service?

>Just curious though, when it comes to using nagios'
>event_handlers to say, restart httpd, I noticed in the sample
>cfgs that the event_handlers seem all to be running locally.
>Should I have the full blown nagios running on remote machine?

No, NRPE will run a plugin on its own.  You may need to use something like
sudo to wrap the plugin, though, in order to give the root rights required
to start a service on a unix box.

HTH

Steve