trouble with check_mysql and USER macros

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Sun Dec 4 23:24:51 CET 2005

That is correct, macros can only be used in command definitions and can
not be used in other object types or passed from other object types
(excepting the $ARGn$ macros). I don't know what parameters you were
wanting to pass to event handlers but with 2.x it now appears possible
to pass almost all macros, including $ARGn$ and $USERn$ macros to event
handlers.

http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/2_0/macros.html

"One of the features available in Nagios is the ability to use macros in
command defintions. Immediately prior to the execution of a command,
Nagios will replace all macros in the command with their corresponding
values. This allows you to define a few generic commands to handle all
your needs."

That page goes on to detail specifically when each macro is available
for use.