Cluster Drive Questions

Steve Shipway s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz
Sun Dec 4 21:59:22 CET 2005

>We have several Windows 2000 File and Print clusters.
>We would like to monitor the disk space on each of the
>cluster drives and have it go into warning and critical
>states as the space gets low.  The problem we have is
>that the drives are only owned by one of the cluster
>nodes at a time and therefore can only be checked against
>one of the nodes.  Has anyone implmented something similiar
>to this or does anyone have any thoughts on how to make
>this possible?  We are using Nagios 1.2.

We do this by checking the hosts individually, and the cluster drive via the
cluster virtual IP.  Thus, we define 3 hosts, the two real ones, and the
third 'virtual'.  The cluster drive is checked on the virtual, the other
things like CPU are checked on the real.

If you don't have a virtual IP, then maybe define two non-alerting services
to check the drive on each machine.  One of them will always give a
'critical drive not found' error.  Then, use check_summary (from
nagiosexchange.org) to define a summary service of the MINIMUM of the two
statuses -- '@min( //host1/drive //host2/drive )'.  This will then return a
warn or critical when the real one goes out of OK state.  We use something
similar to this for our other cluster monitoring.

Steve