trouble getting started: getting error 127 out of bounds on check_http

Arno Lehmann al at its-lehmann.de
Thu Dec 1 23:25:42 CET 2005

Hello,

well, this is the time for me to write a few sentences, too.

On 01.12.2005 13:41, Mehmet Fatih AKBULUT wrote:

> dont know why people are so angry.

We are not angry.
Basically, many people here, including myself, simply don't don't answer
to questions that could either be avoided by actually reading the manual
or trying to understand the problem.

I'm simply tired of reading "Nagios doesn't work and I get an output out
of bounds message".

Whoever wants to operate a system like Nagios really needs the ability
to understand these messages and to find the reasons for it. And, while
many people on the lists are very helpful, no-one will give an
introduction to unix(like) OSes and Nagios via email again and again.

> and dont know how many times i received that message : "hire someone to
> do it for you" so far.

Because that seems to be the most useful advice people can give you,
assuming you want a working Nagios installation.

> Hugo and others that post in the same way, i am telling this to you all :
> firstly u act like u'll help me, but then in the second or third message
> strangely most of you post such an upsetting mail.

I see things differently: First people point out that you have to do
lots of work yourself, and also supply more useful information, but if
after the second or third mail you don't do, most people don't want to
spend their time with someone who doesn't show the will to learn and
work himself (This is not especially directed at you, there have been
many cases before and others will come after us...).

> u dont have to answer my thread. yes i am in need of help cos i heard
> about nagios 2-3 weeks ago and i am not an expert on such programs.

Right, but becoming not even an expert, only a succesful user, you will
have to lear quite a lot. Nobody can make that part easier for you.

> i am
> willing to learn but as 50cent says in his song : "progress is a slow
> process". therefore i will really need help sometimes when i come across
> with an interrupt.

Then, try to make as much progess as possible yourself.

> you may see my posts in mailing list and u want to help me.
> but please dont do that favor if you at the end will send such a reply
> you did to me. just delete the mail from inbox.
> cos such thing u wrote is not much pleasent.
> anyway.

In other words, you only want answers like "do this, do that, press
here, turn that screw, and everything's fine"?. Sorry, but that's not
how things work.

Considering check_ldaps:
You obviously didn't read the release notes that come with the plugins.
You obviously didn't try the plugin from the shell.
You didn't tell us which check_ldaps you use, and you didn't give any
information showing that you actually checked your installation yourself
- paths, file rights, command output, and makefile output, for example.

hese hints should help you a long way towards understanding why
check_ldaps doesn't work for you, by the way.

Have a nice day,

Arno

IT-Service Lehmann                    al at its-lehmann.de