return code of 127 is out of bounds > check_ldaps error.

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Thu Dec 1 17:30:42 CET 2005

Please always reply on-list unless specifically asked otherwise. That's
normal etiquette for any mailing list and especially important for a
support list.

[ls output chopped]

> root at localhost# ./check_ldaps -help
> bash: ./check_ldaps: No such file or directory
> root at localhost#
>

> yes i added /* "" */ to remark that check_ldaps plugin seems to be
there.
> but actually its just a symbolic link i think.

Yes, it should be a symlink to check_ldap which you don't seem to have.
>From the plugin REQUIREMENTS file --

"check_ldap:
        - Requires the LDAP libraries available from
          http://www.openldap.org
                Lib: libldap, liblber
                Redhat Source: openldap-1.2.9-6.i386.rpm,
openldap-devel-1.2.9-6.i386.rpm"

Does your system meet the pre-requisite to have that plugin compile? Did
./configure complain or say anything about LDAP? Was it compiled (i.e.
do you see it compiled in the nagios-plugins-[version]/plugins
directory? If you see check_ldap (not check_ldap.c or check_ldap.o) in
that plugins directory, try running it from there. If it works, manually
copy it to your libexec directory.

During ./configure you should be able to find lines like the following
--

checking for main in -lldap... yes
checking for ldap_set_option... yes

You _probably_ see something like the following right now --

WARNING: Skipping LDAP plugin
WARNING: install LDAP libs to compile this plugin (see REQUIREMENTS).

> although i reinstall and install nagios-plugins for couple of times i
> still dont have a real check_ldap plugin.
> always i get a symbolic link which doesnt work for me.
> cos each time it gives the same error.

In a case like this, basic troubleshooting should have been to see where
the symlink pointed to and investigate why _that_ file, not check_ldaps,
didn't exist.

> and the second problem is this : (which is i think the most weird
one:p)
> check this :
>
> root at localhost# pwd
> /root
> root at localhost# ls

[/root directory listing removed]

> root at localhost#
>
> as you see theres no folder named nagios-plugin !!!
>
> now look at this! :
>
> root at localhost# locate check_ldap
> /root/nagios-plugins-1.4.1/plugins/check_ldap.c
> /usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_ldaps
> root at localhost#
>
> this freaks me out! when i search for check_ldap, there seems to be a
> folder named nagios-plugin under root folder which is proved not to
exists
> there as u see above. ???
>
> same for ls -al ... theres no nagios-plugin folder :(
> nagios really makes me feel sick!
> dont know what to do ...

This is certainly not a nagios issue and there's no way it could be.
Your OS hasn't updated its [s]locate database. Most OS's have a cron job
that updates it daily. Try running 'updatedb' to force a refresh of the
database.

As far as nagios making you feel sick, so far the only real nagios
related issue you've shown has been an apparent lack of meeting spelled
out requirements. Admittedly though, the Makefile probably shouldn't
create the check_ldaps symlink if check_ldap can't be compiled (if it
doesn't already have that logic). Other than that it's a lack of your
familiarization with your chosen OS, something that we assume is a given
as a technical community (rightly so).

> (ps: do u use check_ldaps ? is there a real check_ldap [not a symbolic
> one] plugin in your libexec folder ?)

I do not. Yes there is since I met the pre-requisites.

--
Marc