Nagios 2.0 (nsca-2.4) upgrade difficulties on Solaris 9

Colin White whiteca at gmail.com
Sat Apr 30 11:31:26 CEST 2005

Hi Folks,

A little progress and a bit more info. Thanks for your suggestions Marc.

I apparently have 2 issues -

[1] It seems that when I run nsca under inetd, I get "1 data packet(s)
sent to host successfully." but nothing gets written to nagios.cmd -
wierd indeed (perms are as my original post). I have also tried to run
nsca from inetd as root but with the same result.  Unfortunately nsca
debug=1 doesn't work when running --inetd. My inetd.conf has an entry
like this -
----
nsca    stream  tcp     nowait  nagios  /usr/local/nagios/bin/nsca -c
/usr/local/nagios/etc/nsca.cfg --inetd
----

When I run nsca as bin/nsca -c etc/nsca --daemon, passive checks DO
get written to nagios.cmd and things turns green :-).

What could be up with my inetd?

[2] As my remote passive client is in a DHCP subnet on the end of a
DSL line, I used the nsca hack that let me specify a network in my
allowed_hosts directive rather than the IP#. It seems this no longer
works. Can anyone verify this for me?  Is there a workaround? My
nsca.conf used to look like this -
---
server_port=5667
server_address=my_host_IP#

allowed_hosts=127.0.0.1,80.64.48.,81,53,22.

# NOTE: This option is ignored if NSCA is running under either inetd or xinetd
nsca_user=nagios
# NOTE: This option is ignored if NSCA is running under either inetd or xinetd
nsca_group=nagioscmd
debug=0
command_file=/usr/local/nagios/var/rw/nagios.cmd
alternate_dump_file=/usr/local/nagios/var/rw/nsca.dump
aggregate_writes=0
append_to_file=0
max_packet_age=30
password=mypassword_same_as_nsca_check_on_client
decryption_method=1
---

Many Thanks

Colin