Reporting [SUMMARY]

Marc Belanger bru1n at comcast.net
Sat Apr 30 00:42:23 CEST 2005

Look how fast I can summarize :) 1 day!

I guess the base problem presented is, 'Do I want to make a great tool
(nagios) try to do something its not really designed for?'

So far, the response that makes the most sense came from an private email in
response; man sar. Thankyou Simon.

My conclusions:
Nagios is excellent at polling for, or recieving 0|1|2|3 and a < 75 char
string of stuff. In order to get where I'm looking to get, I'm really
looking at the 75 char stuff. Without a db, it just doesn't make much sense
to write|rewrite plugins that nagios handles better (or differently than
designed) for a report.

I could be wrong, but I think the relationship between trapping thresholds,
and reporting on the values that were used in comparison for thresholds are
too different. Separating them makes is a cleaner toolset approach, and both
can be nearly 100% automated, so that's a Very Good Thing.

RRDtool, and APAN seem like they would provide an improvement upon the
present 'top' method, but I'm restricted in the fact that I'm not going to
get people to view web pages at report time. Even printing the nice graphs
standalone, or cut-pasting into the existing (read: preferred format) would
require manual effort, which is not my intent.

I did not get a chance to peek at Cricket, as yet, but I will. I am
interested in seeing how passive checks can be sent to nagios. Actually, I
understand the theory, just haven't implemented any as yet. Although I do
have this set of OpenVMS DEC Alpha's I haven't had much luck figuring out ..
hrmmm.

I don't mind using sar, or another extensible product for system value
reporting|averaging (micrometrics) and using nagios for automated
outage|health monitoring, alerting, and threshold trending.

If I'm premature or inaccurate in my assessment, please kick me. Or shoot an
email my way.

Thanks again folks,
- -Marc

#
# PGP Public Key:   bru1n (at) comcast (dot) net
# E8E9 FAC2 1552 DC29 7D53 FD1E 6AAE 4CA9 E5FE B976
#