NSCA forking problem

Jason Martin jhmartin at toger.us
Fri Apr 29 16:34:17 CEST 2005

On Fri, Apr 29, 2005 at 10:44:51AM +0200, Frederik Vanhee wrote:
> NSCA is running to accept these check results. (Let's say, 20
> distributed servers, checking 100 services each)
You'll get a lot of nsca processes sitting around if you have a
large 'central server', as they will back up writing into the
nagios.cmd. They'll usually clear out every time Nagios comes
around and reads from the cmd since they are blocked on io. Make
sure Nagios is reading from the command file as fast as possible
by setting the cmd file interval to -1.

> Is this normal behaviour ? Because I get in trouble having not enough
> processes available (cannot fork....), so I can tweak kernel parameters
500 shouldn't cause cannot fork, there might be a ulimit causing
that.

-Jason Martin
--
This message is PGP/MIME signed.