Nagios NRPE Help.

mohd mustaquim m_mustaquim at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 29 10:52:10 CEST 2005

Hello Gurus ,

I would need any ones help to resolve the problem
faced by me . I am very new to nagios . May be one of
you experts can help me

I explain the details as follows .

1) Please find my minimal.cfg file attached as below

I am attaching only the part which i am testing .

a) defination for check_nrpe

define command{
        command_name check_nrpe
        command_line $USER1$/check_nrpe -H
$HOSTADDRESS$ -c $ARG1$
        }

b) Host where the nrpe daemon is running on port 5666

define host{
        host_name                      narmadasunplb
 ; The name of this host template
        alias
Enovia-Indus-Mumbai-3DCOM-Server.
        address                        172.30.16.74
        use                            Industemplate
        }

c)  Defination of services in minimal.cfg

	define service{
        name
generic-service
        active_checks_enabled           1
        passive_checks_enabled          1
        parallelize_check               1
        obsess_over_service             1
        check_freshness                 0
        notifications_enabled           1
        event_handler_enabled           1
        flap_detection_enabled          1
        failure_prediction_enabled      1
        process_perf_data               1
        retain_status_information       1
        retain_nonstatus_information    1
        contact_groups                  ITD
        retry_check_interval            1
        notification_interval           960
        notification_period             24x7
        check_period                    24x7
        max_check_attempts              4
        is_volatile                     0

	define service{
        use
generic-service         ; Name of service template to
use
        host_name
bladeplb,nileplb,narmadasunplb,bldaix1plb,bldaix8plb,novaplb,omegasunplb,bldaix2plb
        service_description             Root Partition
        check_command
check_nrpe!check_root
        }

d)   the nrpe.cfg file , Please note that 172.30.16.74
is narmadasunplb machine ip address and 172.30.16.171
is the machine where nagios monitor is running

server_port=5666

server_address=172.30.16.74

allowed_hosts=127.0.0.1,172.30.16.171,172.30.16.74

nrpe_user=nagios

nrpe_group=nagios

debug=0

command_timeout=60

command[check_users]=/usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_users
-w 5 -c 10
command[check_load]=/usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_load
-w 15,10,5 -c 30,25,20
command[check_disk1]=/usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_disk
-w 20 -c 10 -p /dev/hda1
command[check_root]=/u/users/nagios/plugins/check_disk
-w 20 -c 10 -p /dev/dsk/c0t0d0s1
command[check_zombie_procs]=/usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_procs
-w 5 -c 10 -s Z
command[check_total_procs]=/usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_procs
-w 150 -c 200

e) As a test i am running command

./nrpe -c /u/users/nagios/nrpe.cfg --daemon from the
plugins directory

f) If i check this check_root command from this
machine only then it works fine as can be seen

$ ./check_nrpe -H narmadasunplb -c check_root

DISK OK [4156421 kB (40%) free on /dev/dsk/c0t0d0s1]

g) However when the same command is run from the
server on which the apache server i.e 172.30.16.171 is
running i get the following error.

-sh-2.05b$ ./check_nrpe -H narmadasunplb -c check_root
CHECK_NRPE: Socket timeout after 10 seconds.

I have checked the entire web sites but no where any
proper solution is mentioned .

Can any one please help me.

Thanks in advance.

Mustaquim.