[Nagiosplug-help] HELP please! newbie to nagios

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Wed Apr 27 20:34:10 CEST 2005

Please direct your replies to nagios-users at lists.sourceforge.net so that
others may benefit from the responses.

HP Geeza wrote:
> I am running Fedora Core 3...after doing: #system-config-securitylevel -
> I see the firewall setting is disabled

What does the httpd targeted policy look like?  It should reside in a
file in /etc/selinux/targeted/src/policy/domains/ and be named either
httpd or apache, or possibly apache.te.

> After doing: #grep ^apache: /etc/passwd
> i get: apache:x:48:48:Apache:/var/www:/sbin/nologin   - Sooo no shell
> shown there!

This is the reason you can't su to the apache user. man chsh, or edit
/etc/passwd manually.

> After doing: #ls -la /usr/local/nagios/{,sbin}
> i get:
> drwxrwxr-x  2 nagios nagcmd   4096 Apr 27 13:33 .
> drwxr-xr-x  8 nagios nagcmd   4096 Apr 26 16:35 ..
> -rwxrwxrwx  1 nagios nagcmd 158200 Apr 25 14:57 avail.cgi
> -rwxrwxrwx  1 nagios nagcmd 159040 Apr 25 14:57 cmd.cgi
> -rwxrwxrwx  1 nagios nagcmd 121240 Apr 25 14:57 config.cgi
> -rwxrwxrwx  1 nagios nagcmd 174624 Apr 25 14:57 extinfo.cgi
> -rwxrwxrwx  1 nagios nagcmd 111512 Apr 25 14:57 history.cgi
> -rw-r--r--  1 nagios nagcmd    109 Apr 25 16:17 .htaccess
> -rwxrwxrwx  1 nagios nagcmd 107384 Apr 25 14:57 notifications.cgi
> -rwxrwxrwx  1 nagios nagcmd 105660 Apr 25 14:57 outages.cgi
> -rwxrwxrwx  1 nagios nagcmd 105912 Apr 25 14:57 showlog.cgi
> -rwxrwxrwx  1 nagios nagcmd 157436 Apr 25 14:57 status.cgi
> -rwxrwxrwx  1 nagios nagcmd 120280 Apr 25 14:57 statuswml.cgi
> -rwxrwxrwx  1 nagios nagcmd 107416 Apr 25 14:57 statuswrl.cgi
> -rwxrwxrwx  1 nagios nagcmd 126104 Apr 25 14:57 summary.cgi
> -rwxrwxrwx  1 nagios nagcmd 124444 Apr 25 14:57 tac.cgi

That's weird. It should also show the permissions of /usr/local/nagios
Ok, first of all, do

# chmod -R 755 /usr/local/nagios/sbin
# chown -R root:root /usr/local/nagios/sbin

because there's no reason what so ever to have those files world-writable.

Then do
ls -ld /usr /usr/local /usr/local/nagios
and send me the output.

> Arghhhh Nagios seems like such a hard system!!!! I haven't even began to
> monitor anything....jus trying to view the cgi pages seems hard enough

Actually, you're having problems with apache, not nagios. You would have
  exactly this same problem if you were trying to install any other
cgi-based web-app (although other apps might come with better
documentation).

Your problems with Nagios will come later. ;)

Another thing that would really help is if you could attach the relevant
parts of your apache config.

sed -n /\/usr\/local\/nagios\/,/^</p /etc/httpd/{conf,conf.d}/*

should extract it for you. Mind the backslashes. They are unfortunately
required in address regexes as implemented by sed up to and including
version 4.1.1.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se
Lead Developer