External Commands not working

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Wed Apr 27 18:40:36 CEST 2005

Quoting Ethan on 3/23/2005 --

"I see there have been a number of messages on the list about when
Nagios 2.0 will be released as stable.  Here's my take.

First, I would still consider 2.0 as being beta software - that's why
its labeled as such. While no major changes will be made to either
the configuration files or functionality before a "stable" 2.0 is
released, I do expect that a few major nasty bugs will be discovered
within the current code.  If you're running the 2.0 code while its in
beta, consider yourself a test subject.  :-)

As far as when 2.0 will be released as stable, I will not set a
specific date.  My gut feeling is that the beta testing will probably
be done around June or so, but that could change depending on what
people find with the code.  Several bugs (some minor, some not so
minor) have been (and continue to be) discovered throughout the alpha
and beta releases.  As testing continues and more betas are released,
I expect the number of bugs to drop.  At some point in this process
the number of significant bugs found in a particular beta release
will drop to near zero.  That's when you can expect a release
candidate for a stable 2.0 to come out.

Obviously, bringing 2.0 out of beta doesn't mean that all bugs will
have been caught and dealt with.  That's why we will have versions
2.1, 2.2, etc.  I just want to make sure that enough people have
participated in the beta process to be reasonably sure that the major
gotchas have been taken care of.

Many of the users on this list feel fairly confident in the stability
of the 2.0 beta code.  Your feelings may vary, depending upon your
past experience and current situation.  If you're worried about
running a non-stable version of Nagios in your environment, I would
stick with the 1.x branch for the time being.  You shouldn't have to
wait too long for 2.0 to be released as stable.

BTW, Nagios 1.3 should be released soon with some bug fixes that were
made after the 1.2 release.  The 1.x branch is currently marked as
being the 1.3 release in CVS, but its not official yet.  I expect to
make one or two more minor patches to that branch before releasing
1.3.

Hope that helps.

Ethan Galstad,
Nagios Developer