passive monitoring with nsca & send_nsca

Olivier Mugabonake mugabonakeolivier at gmail.com
Wed Apr 27 11:12:36 CEST 2005

Helllo every body,
I've recently installed nagios 1.2 . After testing (unsuccessifully)
active monitoring of remote hosts with check_nrpe, I tried passive
monitoring with nsca & send_nsca.
I followed all steps described in
http://docs.guill.net/article.php3?id_article=2

Here is what I get from my remote host when I try to send command
status to my nagios server

remote_host root # cat /home/check_disk_ok |
/usr/nagios/libexec/send_nsca -H nagios_server  -c
/etc/nagios/send_nsca.cfg
1 data packet(s) sent to host successfully.

where /home/check_disk is just a text file containing the message I
would like to be desplayed in my web interface on nagios_server.

According to the result of this command, the information is
successiffully sent to tne nagios_server. This one is configured to
accept external commands from remote_host, and the rights of
/var/nagios/rw/nagios.cmd are set according to the official doc found
at
 http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/2_0/commandfile.html

The problem I have is that no change is made in my nagios web
interface: the message displayed is like this:

remote_host LOCAL-DISK CRITICAL 	04-27-2005 10:52:56 	0d 0h 26m 50s
	3/3 	(Return code of 127 is out of bounds - plugin may be missing)

And nothing is found in /var/nagios/rw/nagios.cmd (the fifo where the
result of the command executed on remote host is supposed to be)

Here is a the concerned part of my /etc/nagios/services.cfg file

define service{
        name                generic-service ; The 'name' of this
service template, referenced in other service d$
  active_checks_enabled           0       ; Active service checks are enabled
  passive_checks_enabled          1       ; Passive service checks are
   enabled/accepted
  parallelize_check               1       ; Active service checks
should be parallelized (disabling this can lead to m$
obsess_over_service             1       ; We should obsess over this
service (if necessary)
        check_freshness                 0       ; Default is to NOT
check service 'freshness'
        notifications_enabled           1       ; Service
notifications are enabled
        event_handler_enabled           1       ; Service event
handler is enabled
        flap_detection_enabled          1       ; Flap detection is enabled
        process_perf_data               1       ; Process performance data
        retain_status_information       1       ; Retain status
information across program restarts
        retain_nonstatus_information    1       ; Retain non-status
information across program restarts

        register                        0       ; DONT REGISTER THIS
DEFINITION - ITS NOT A REAL SERVICE, JUST A TEMPLATE!
        }

define service{
        use                             generic-service         ; Name
of service template to use

        host_name                       remote_host
        service_description             LOCAL-DISK
        is_volatile                     0
        check_period                    24x7
        max_check_attempts              3
        normal_check_interval           3
        retry_check_interval            1
        contact_groups                  om-admins
        notification_interval           120
        notification_period             24x7
        notification_options            w,u,c,r
        check_command                   check_disk_remote_host
}

And here is the concerned part of my /etc/nagios/checkcommands.cfg file:

define command{
        command_name    check_disk_remote_host
        command_line        neant
        }

I'm blocked by this issue and I really need help to go forward.
Thanks