Can't get plugin to ever start

Charlie Hedlin charlie at hedlin.com
Wed Apr 27 03:50:27 CEST 2005

I am trying to monitor the temperature of my server room with an
eSensors em01.  I can run check_em01 -H ipaddr -tw 65,75 --tc 55,80 from
the command line and it works fine.
Nagios will never run the check for me, and it is stuck in the PENDING
state.  If I force a check it will update the scheduled date in the
status field, but that seems to be about it.  I have configured a
check_ping service for the sensor and it works fine.

There has to be something obvious that I am missing, but I am going
insane trying to find it.  The logs don't mention anything about the
service, other than the external reschedule command. I even added a
command to touch a test file at the beginning of check_em01 to verify
that it was never starting.

I have installed 2.0b1 from DAGs rpms on CentOS 3.4 (Redhat Enterprise
Linux 3 for all practical purposes).

Here are the relevant lines from /etc/nagios/checkcommands.cfg
# 'check_temp' command definition
define command{
        command_name    check_temp
        command_line    $USER1$/check_em01 -H $HOSTADDRESS$ --tw $ARG1$
--tc $ARG2$
        }

# 'check_humidity' command definition
define command{
        command_name    check_humidity
        command_line    $USER1$/check_em01 -H $HOSTADDRESS$ --hw $ARG1$
--hc $ARG2$
        }

# 'check_light command definition
define command{
        command_name    check_light
        command_line    $USER1$/check_em01 -H $HOSTADDRESS$ --iw $ARG1$
--ic $ARG2$
        }

and the services defintion, including the check_ping command that works:
define service{

        host_name                       sensor1
        service_description             PING
        is_volatile                     0
        check_period                    24x7
        max_check_attempts              3
        normal_check_interval           5
        retry_check_interval            1
        contact_groups                  linux-admins
        notification_interval           120
        notification_period             24x7
        notification_options            w,u,c,r
        check_command                   check_ping!100.0,20%!500.0,60%
        }

define service{
        use                             generic-service         ; Name
of service template to use

        host_name                       sensor1
        service_description             TEMPERATURE
        is_volatile                     0
        check_period                    24x7
        max_check_attempts              3
        normal_check_interval           5
        retry_check_interval            1
        contact_groups                  linux-admins
        notification_interval           120
        notification_period             24x7
        notification_options            w,u,c,r
        check_command                   check_temp!65,75!55,80
        }

Thanks for any help.
Charlie