Simplest plugin. Please help with incorporating into Nagios

Bill Akins Bill_Akins at emoryhealthcare.org
Mon Apr 25 23:12:05 CEST 2005

>>> Calvin Crutchfield <ccrutchfield at incodewireless.com> 4/25/2005 4:40 PM >>>
[SNIP]
Question:
I need to execute a custom script via check_by_ssh on remote nodes.
I am a little confused about what it takes to use a script as a plugin.

[SNIP]

Try this:
http://nagiosplug.sourceforge.net/developer-guidelines.html  Pay particular attention to return codes.

>I want to start simple then I can deduce what I need to do to incorporate my
larger scripts.

Good idea.

>If this is simple please help  as I was not able to grasp the plugins document very well.

It is very simple.  See the link above.  To see some live examples, look at some of the Perl plugins you probably already have installed like check_file_age, check_breeze, check_disk_smb, check_dsdb, etc.  They do not have to be compiled C code.  Bash, Perl, python, VB, C, etc can all be used.  It's all a matter of what gets returned to Nagios.

>If making your scripts into plugins is a big deal, I would be willing to pay a reasonable fee for some consultation.

It's not, since plugins can be scripts.  I have written several wrapper scripts for other plugins of to format output from other plugins.  It's not that hard once you read the docs and see what is expected as a return code and value.

HTH!