REPOST: Problem with Connecting To New Client

Kaplan, Andrew H. AHKAPLAN at PARTNERS.ORG
Mon Apr 25 19:47:40 CEST 2005

Hi there --

I am attempting to add a new client to be monitored by Nagios but for some
reason the new client is refusing connection from the Nagios server.

The NRPE client is version 1.8, while the Nagios server is version 1.2. The
operating system on the client is Fedora Core 3, while that on the server is
Red Hat Linux 8.0.

The plugins that I downloaded and installed are version 1.4. I ran the configure

and make commands when compiling the plugins and then I went to the plugins
directory and copied the files to the /usr/local/nagios/libexec filesystem
on the client.

The nrpe.cfg file that I used was one that I ftp'd over from another system,
albeit a SPARC platform running Aurora Linux 1.0, and modified the file to
better fit the system that it was copied onto. Also, the /etc/services file was
modified to include a new line that has the TCP protocol available on port 5666.

The /etc/xinetd.d/nrpe file is just like those on other systems, and it
specifically allows the nagios server to make connections to it. I have stopped
and restarted the xinetd service as well as restarted the client machine
without success.

I can ping the client system from the server using its hostname and ip address
and also from the client machine itself. The client machine can ping the Nagios
server without problem.

When I manually run several plugins from the server: check_http and check_ssh,
they
are able to get the appropriate information from the client. Likewise, the same
plugins are able to run on the client.

When I attempt to telnet the client at port 5666, I get a COULD NOT OPEN A
CONNECTION
ON PORT 5666 error message. I have also tried having the nrpe binary run in
daemon mode
on the client, and while it appears to be running, the Nagios server is unable
to get
the appropriate information.

Can anyone help? Thanks.