SMS Pages to Cingular Cell Phone: SUCCESS!

Stover, Beth BStover at NorcalMutual.com
Fri Apr 22 19:11:05 CEST 2005

Thanks for all of your help.  I now have the sms_client working with my
Cingular service.

I had to sign up for Enterprise Paging with Cingular which gives you
access to a TAP Gateway:

http://www.attwireless.com/smallbusiness/services/emailmsg/entpaging.jht
ml

$9.99 per month with unlimited pages.

Here's the protocol information:

Protocol	Address
TAP:		(408)961-2819
SNPP: 	snpp.cingular.com     port 444
WCTP: 	http://wctp.cingular.com/wctp
SMTP:		<10 digit mobile number>@page.cingular.com

Supported Features:

Maximum Message Length:  456 characters on SNPP and WCTP, 420 characters
on SMTP and 160 characters on TAP, including recipient's paging
address/phone number, longer messages will be truncated. Delivery
receipts and 2 way messaging are supported on SNPP and WCTP.  2 way
messaging is supported on SMTP.  To obtain WCTP SenderID/PollerID and
SecurityCode, go to http://www.enterprisepaging.com/pollerID. Additional
terms and conditions may apply.

The character limit is sufficient for my Nagios alerts.

FYI:  the TAP gateway entry in the services config for sms_client
required a "1."  Here's the config:

{
        SMS_comms_params = "7E1"        # 7 Data, Even Parity, 1 Stop
Bit
        SMS_baud         = 1200

        # The SMSCnumber MUST be defined.
        # This is the number of your local message center.

        SMS_centre_number = "14089612819"       # Cingular PAGER ACCESS
}

Thanks again for all of the replies and suggestions.

Beth