getting a ps error when trying to start

Brian W. Wathen bwathen at iwu.edu
Fri Apr 22 16:16:08 CEST 2005

Marc Powell wrote:

>That is extremely unusual. Nagios, and Netsaint before it, have
>supported -v for years. Why can't you run it as I indicated, either for
>verification or in daemon mode? There should be no reason you shouldn't
>be able to do either unless the package maintainer has done some very
>bizarre things. Also, the init.d scripts are a convenience, not
>mandatory. Any program that can be started from an init.d script can be
>started from the command line, especially Nagios. Are you seeing errors?
>What are they?
>
>--
>Marc

Here is the error again:
[root at localhost etc]# nagios
bash: command not found
[root at localhost etc]# /etc/init.d/nagios start
Starting network monitor: nagios
ps: error: List of process IDs must follow -p.
usage: ps -[Unix98 options]
       ps [BSD-style options]
       ps --[GNU-style long options]
       ps --help for a command summary

Clearly I can't run "any" program from the command line that I can from
init.d. This is the weirdest problem I have had to deal with!

Brian