Alerting of Host

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Fri Apr 22 15:46:45 CEST 2005

XXX
> minutes then alert. The closet I found on doc to do this was on
flapping
> of hosts. But I think my configuration may be wrong I must be doing
> something wrong
> >

> http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/2_0/xodtemplate.html#host
>
> Set your max_check_attempts higher. To get your 15mins.

This is really bad advice. Nagios will stop every other activity and
only check this single host until max_check_attempts is reached. No
other hosts or services will be checked. You want host checks to be as
simple and quick as possible.

There might be something you could do with escalations. Look into that.
Otherwise, my advice would be to create a PING service for the host, set
it's max_check_attempts to 4 and it's retry_check_interval to 3.
Assuming you have a normal_check_interval of 5, that'll get you about 15
minutes down before alert. That's what I've done. You should disable the
host check entirely if you do this.

--
Marc