getting a ps error when trying to start

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Fri Apr 22 06:51:41 CEST 2005

Please always reply on list so that others may benefit from your
experience in the future by searching the archives.

That is extremely unusual. Nagios, and Netsaint before it, have
supported -v for years. Why can't you run it as I indicated, either for
verification or in daemon mode? There should be no reason you shouldn't
be able to do either unless the package maintainer has done some very
bizarre things. Also, the init.d scripts are a convenience, not
mandatory. Any program that can be started from an init.d script can be
started from the command line, especially Nagios. Are you seeing errors?
What are they?

--
Marc