Nagios 2.03b, plugins 1.4 - no status changes

bru1n at comcast.net bru1n at comcast.net
Thu Apr 21 21:54:13 CEST 2005

Greetings nagios gurii,

I have a single remote service configured, and it works from the command line. I use check_by_ssh configured with ~/.ssh/authorized_keys. I am specifically forcing the plugin to return a warning|critical.

$ id
uid=1003(nagios) gid=101(nagios)
$ uname -a
SunOS monitor 5.10 Generic sun4u sparc SUNW,Sun-Fire-V210
$ pwd
/usr/local/nagios/libexec
 ./check_by_ssh -H target -s 18 -C "/usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_disk -w 99% -c 90% -p /tmp"
DISK WARNING - free space: /tmp 6763 MB (93%);| /tmp=521MB;72;728;0;7283

>From the target:
root at target: df -k /tmp
Filesystem            kbytes    used   avail capacity  Mounted on
swap                 7458984  533232 6925752     8%    /tmp

So it works from the shell, and it works according to the monitor; "service detail" view. The result from above is exactly what I see in the "Status Information" column next to host "tradev".

The problem:
In the "Status" column, I see "OK" in green. Obviously not what I'd expect.

I have the default remote-ping working on several hosts-- but it works correctly and the status' change accordingly; red or green.

/usr/local/nagios/var/status.dat has this entry for the service:
plugin_output=DISK WARNING - free space: /var/run 6763 MB (100%): /tmp 6763 MB (93%):

Here is my hosts.cfg entry:
define host{
        host_name               target
        alias                   tradev
        address                 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
        check_command           check-host-alive
        max_check_attempts      10
        notification_interval   120
        notification_period     24x7
        notification_options    d,r
        contact_groups          unix-admins
        }

Here is my services.cfg entry:
define service{
        host_name                       target
        service_description             unix-swap-space
        is_volatile                     0
        check_period                    24x7
        max_check_attempts              4
        normal_check_interval           5
        retry_check_interval            1
        contact_groups                  unix-admins
        notification_interval           960
        notification_period             24x7
        check_command                   check-unix-swap
        }

and the checkcommands.cfg entry:
# 'check-unix-swap' command definition
define command{
        command_name    check-unix-swap
        command_line    $USER1$/check_by_ssh -H $HOSTADDRESS$ -s 18 -C "$USER1$/check_disk -w 99% -c 90% -p /tmp"
        }

--Yes, I know there are cleaner ways to do this, but I wanted to take out as many variables as I could til it got running right. ;)

I have searched docs, mail-lists, googled, stopped and restarted everything. I do not seem to be able to get the status to change on critical|warning.

1) Do I have to add authorized_keys on the monitor_host for each target_host?
-- I didn't try because the command as user 'nagios'returns just fine from the shell.

2) 2.03b is compiled on sol10 with gd, host is compiled on sol9, just the plugin;
./configure --prefix=/usr/local/nagios --with-nagios-user=nagios --with-nagios-group=nagios ;make ;make install -- no errors at all.

3) The monitor displays the same on IE 6.needs.patching.bleh.0, Mozilla Firefox 1.02 (shh... I know about 1.03), and Netscape 4.7 (sparc).

Thanks for your time, patience with my brevity, and hopefully direction or solution.
-Marc