Memory consumption in 2.0b3

Schimpke, Dr. Thomas / bhn Schimpke.Thomas at bhn-services.com
Wed Apr 20 08:51:39 CEST 2005

Hi all,

I think it was already mentioned here, but I'm not sure:
nagios 2.0b3 (at least) consumes *lots* of memory if running for several
days. Now the binary consumes about 84 MB, the output of
ps -e -o pid,cmd,%mem,rss,trs,sz,vsz:

 PID CMD              %MEM  RSS  TRS    SZ   VSZ
10512 /usr/local/nagio  8.3 86148 362 27254 109016
24937 /usr/local/nagio  8.3 86152 362 27255 109020

For one running binary, that wouldn't be much of a problem, but since
nagios forks to execute the service checks, I sometimes have some 10 of
this processes running (142 hosts, 921 services).

Nagios is running on a DL 360 with only 1 GB memory (and 2 GB swap). We
noticed, that the swap was (after 4 days or so) was completely used and
never freed, BUT that might have been an apache problem together with
mod_ntlm. I'm checking that right now.

I've added some more swap space (another 2 GB). I think, there should be
a hint in the docs: "add swap" or better "buy memory..."

Cheers,

Thomas