Distributed Nagios / Service Definitions

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Tue Apr 19 21:59:38 CEST 2005

collector)

There was a very thorough discussion on this very topic just last week.
Go to http://news.gmane.org/gmane.network.nagios.user and look for the
subject of " [Nagios-users] Setting up a passive check problem". The
archive will have more detail but the gist is that you must specify a
check_command, even if it doesn't get run. The config verification logic
is much simpler if it's a requirement, IMHO. If you're not using
freshness checks you can use check_dummy as your check_command on your
central server. I personally use the same command that's in use on my
distributed servers. That way I can use a template on my central host
that basically says to accept passive checks and never perform active
checks and a template of the same name on my distributed servers that
says the opposite. That way I can generate one set of config files and
just rsync them out and they just work.

--
Marc