Need help with code...

Anthony Montibello amontibello at gmail.com
Tue Apr 19 10:22:02 CEST 2005

hi Rob,

Since your at a university why don't you get one of the Comp Science
Teachers or students to assist you in finding a solution.

1) you need a program that can detect some kind of external port
change - wether it be loopback or whatever you do to interface with
the alarm system..(this is the Hard part - you may want to view the
temperature probe
2) this program should then interact with NS_Client or some other
nagios interface.
You cannot easily interact directly but here are some ways that you
can interact.

NC_Net and some of the newer windows plugins like nsclient++ allow for
more options on how to monitor a windows server.

most have Fileage and the newer plugins also have Event log checks.
NC_Net also allows for query of WMI,

once you have the program that can detect the alarm, you can have the
program either
A) write to a file and use a nagios FILEAGE check and if file was
modified send a Critical.
b) write to the event log then use a nagios Event log check.  When the
event is seen it sends a alert.
C) there may be some way to check the serial via WMI script or
query??? NC_Net can query but cannot do anything else to WMI (this was
by design)
d) have the program that detects the alarm send a passive check via
NSCA win32. (this is proboly the best to avoid temperary files or
other configuration problems)