The scoop on remote hosts...which method?

Subhendu Ghosh sghosh at sghosh.org
Mon Apr 18 18:27:54 CEST 2005

On Mon, 18 Apr 2005, Calvin Crutchfield wrote:

> Latest Versions of Nagios and plugins
> Nagios running on solaris
> Approx 300 remotes hosts running  a mix of solaris and linux located all
> over the US.
>
> I spent the last couple days getting Nagios up and adding localhost services
> along with remote port  services.  Now I need to do some remote services,
> after-all how useful would it be without it.
>
> >From my reading,  there are 2 major options.  Of course the FAQ doesn't
> contain any opinions.  From what I gather it stands like this:
>
> Check_by_ssh:  Active service from the the Nagios server.  Used with SSH
> keys, rather than password.  The services executables, check_disk,
> check_load etc need to reside on the remote host.  Anything else
> significant?
>
> NRPE:  all service executables need to reside on remote, there is a daemon
> running on the remote and each remote host needs some config of the
> inetd.conf
>
> To me the obvious choice is check_by_ssh.  However, pleased correct or add
> to my synopsis of the options.  I would love to be pointed to more
> documentation, sites, blogs etc... on the above two topics preferably
> dealing with install/config.  I need make a decision on my method and have
> it implemented in only a few days.
>
> Thanks

You are correct on the choices for active checks. You also have a third
option of using cron and sending the results via nsca (passive checks and
freshness)

Of the above 2:

check_by_ssh
a) allows easy modification of command line arguements on the
nagios server
b) once setup, ssh allows pushing out of new plugins

nrpe:
a)latest version allows you to optionally send modified arguments
b)provides anonymous ssl (no possibility of ssh access)

--
-sg