At Least One Solution to "notification problem, $CONTACTPAGER$ not passed correctly?"

Stover, Beth BStover at NorcalMutual.com
Tue Apr 12 20:23:09 CEST 2005

Hi there,

I tried some more testing.  First, I simplified the command line:  /usr/local/bin/sms_client 1234567890 'this is a test'

It still didn't work.

Next, I logged in as the nagios user and tried to execute the same command, and I got some errors (AHA!):

/var/adm (root) $ su - nagios
$ /usr/local/bin/sms_client 1234567890 'this is a test'
ERROR: Opening logfile: /var/adm/smslog
ERROR: Opening logfile: /var/adm/smslog

My problem is a permissions issue with the /var/adm/smslog.  Your smslog file may be located somewhere else. I installed the application as root, so the "nagios" user did not have permissions to write to the sms log file:

-rw-r--r--   1 root  bin    5651 Apr 12 10:25 smslog

Probably not the most secure way to fix it, but I changed the mode so that all users can write to the file:

/var/adm (root) $ chmod 777 smslog

-rwxrwxrwx   1 root  bin    5651 Apr 12 10:25 smslog

Next, I restored my command line to include the macros:

# 'notify-by-sms' command definition
define command{
	command_name	notify-by-sms
command_line    /usr/local/bin/sms_client -q $CONTACTPAGER$ '$NOTIFICATIONTYPE$: $HOSTNAME$: $SERVICEDESC$ is $SERVICESTATE$ ($OUTPUT$)'
        }

# 'host-notify-by-sms' command definition
define command{
	command_name	host-notify-by-sms
command_line    /usr/local/bin/sms_client -q $CONTACTPAGER$ '$NOTIFICATIONTYPE$: $HOSTNAME$: $SERVICEDESC$ is $SERVICESTATE$ ($OUTPUT$)'
        }

Now, I'm getting the properly formatted alerts on my cell phone.  :-)

This was working fine for me before, so I don't know how the permissions issue came into being.  I have not re-installed sms_client.  It's been installed for 2 years.  If anyone has any ideas, then please let me know.

Beth