sms_client notification problem, $CONTACTPAGER$ not passed correctly ?

Fischer Matthias matthias.fischer at gundlach.de
Thu Apr 7 08:31:14 CEST 2005

Hi List

I have a problem regarding notifications sent by sms_client :/

Things I´ve done so far :

- Installed sms_client and tested function (sent sms by using the shell "sms_client <number> test" i.e. works perfectly fine.

- added the notify-by-sms command into misccomands.cfg

misccommands.cfg :

define command{
	command_name 	notify-by-sms
	command_line 	/bin/sms_client -q $CONTACTPAGER$ '$NOTIFICATIONTYPE$: $HOSTNAME$: $SERVICEDESC$ is $SERVICESTATE$ ($OUTPUT$)'
	}

define command{
	command_name 	host-notify-by-sms
	command_line 	/bin/sms_client -q $CONTACTPAGER$ '$NOTIFICATIONTYPE$: $HOSTNAME$ is $HOSTSTATE$ ($OUTPUT$)'
}

- Added the number of my cellphone to my contact-information

# 'matthias.fischer' contact definition
define contact{
	contact_name			matthias.fischer
	alias					Matthias Fischer
	service_notification_period	24x7
	host_notification_period	24x7
	service_notification_options	w,u,c,r
	host_notification_options	d,u,r
	service_notification_commands	notify-by-email,notify-by-sms
	host_notification_commands	host-notify-by-email,host-notify-by-sms
	email					matthias.fischer at gundlach.de
	pager					<number>
	}

- Every time a notification via email occured I take a look into the log-file and it says :

Apr  6 11:47:36 localhost nagios: SERVICE NOTIFICATION: matthias.fischer;Entropoint;TELNET;CRITICAL;notify-by-sms;Connection refused by host
Doesn´t look like an errormessage to me o.O

- What I´ve done next :
I have replaced the notify-by-sms command line in the misccommands.cfg with something like :

/usr/bin/printf "$CONTACTPAGER$ '$NOTIFICATIONTYPE$: $HOSTNAME$: $SERVICEDESC$ is $SERVICESTATE$ ($OUTPUT$)'" > /tmp/test1

This line does generate a file called test1 in the given directory but : This file is empty :(
I´m quite puzzled by now O.o
Could it be that there is a problem with that $CONTACTPAGER$ variable ?
May be someone else faced the same problem before ?
May be I´m just too dumb ?

Thanks in Advance

Cheers

Matthias