manual alerts

nagios at mm.quex.org nagios at mm.quex.org
Wed Apr 6 15:16:56 CEST 2005

I'd find the ability to send messages to the contacts specified
for a host or service quite useful, too. It can take a bit of
work to configure Nagios' contacts to be correct, and duplicating
that (and keeping it in sync) with a mailing list seems like a
bit of effort one shouldn't need to go to.

In particular it could be useful for commenting on a problem;
e.g. providing additional information after someone has already
acknowledged it, or further comments after it's been resolved.
It's halfway there, as you can add comments to hosts and services,
but they aren't sent to others unless it's a problem acknowledgement.

Mind you, Nagios is designed to monitor networks, not to be a
collaboration / messaging server. It might make sense to implement
something like this as a separate system, and then have a Nagios
notification command to send alerts into this other system.

Even so, being able to send arbitrary 'notifications' could be
useful to a number of people, and it probably wouldn't be
difficult for someone familiar with Nagios' workings to add the
functionality.