nagios-service down/recovery issues

vivek sharma sharma vivek_222 at rediffmail.com
Wed Apr 6 12:26:37 CEST 2005

Dear all,
         In nagios i am facing service down and recovery issues.If a service is down it shall show me after few minutes but when it comes up it takes atleast 10-12 min. for it to show up.Well for me this much of time difference means a lot when we are depending on Nagios for reports.

I have got 85 hosts(mainly routers as of now)
In second phase i shall be putting 25 server services in it
And third phase 180 more customer devices(routers/modems/switches etc.)

I am pasting down the relative configurations with it:
1.)  command_line    $USER1$/check_ping -H $HOSTADDRESS$ -p 10 -w 450.0,40% -c 1750.0,98%
2.)This service defn. is for all 85 hosts(routers etc.)
define service{
        host_name                       XXX.XXX.XXX
        service_description             check_ping
        is_volatile                     0
        check_period                    24x7
        check_freshness                 1
        freshness_threshold             60
        max_check_attempts              3
        normal_check_interval           1
        retry_check_interval            1
        contact_groups                  noc-support
        notification_interval           30
        notification_period             24x7
        notification_options            c
        check_command                   check_ping
        }
3.)Other related configurations:
max_concurrent_checks 0
service_inter_check_delay_method s
service_reaper_frequency 10
service_interleave_factor s

max_check_attempts 3

Also to calculate the reaper freq. it is said that we can run nagios with -s option but
 when i do that it doesnot run(may be i am intercepting it the wrong way)

[root at nagios root]# /etc/rc.d/init.d/nagios -s
Usage: nagios {start|stop|restart|reload|force-reload|status}
[root at nagios root]# /etc/rc.d/init.d/nagios -s start
Usage: nagios {start|stop|restart|reload|force-reload|status}

Also as suggested by some wise men in this list i have to strike a balance between check_interval and the reaper freq. as it wuld affect CPU.

Can anybody suggest the optimum settings.

Thanks.
Vivek